With a growing trend from Zimbabwe Republic Police to ban demonstrations (in central Harare at least), we shared with our WhatsApp subscribers this suggestion from another member:
I do think the opposition needs to be more creative. It is only a fool who does the same thing over and over again and expects a different result.
I think demos should start from the residential areas and move into town. Imagine calling for a national demonstration where people start to walk to town from the their homes at 7am. People in Glen View and Budiriro walk into willowvale and are joined by people from Glen Norah and Highfields as they swell towards Simon Mazorodze where Mbare and waterfalls residence join the crusade of Harare South. Imagine the same happening from Harare east along Mutare road, Harare north and Harare west.
The advantage of this includes excitement is built at grassroots. No need for people to think of transport cost into town. The police is weakened as they try to monitor and control crowds in different places. Such a strategy will attract thousands of people because people see it happening where they are unlike when people travel to town uncertain of the situation into police comfort zone.
We invited their feedback and recommendations. Here are some of their comments:
- My two cents Harare is not the only city protests can be held in other towns. Even better when they hold simultaneously in different cities it will spread police resources thin. We need to keep the pressure on.
- A ….is the best way 4 the demos for us to confuse them
- It’s a good suggestion but it takes time to prepare.
- Thts a vry gud strategy bcz its a game of numbers and pple shld nt wait &watch Hre Demos alone bt rather we shld carry out such Demos in evry city & town in zim soil.
- Very tru plus t shld spread country wide such as bulawayo mtre gweru masvingo starting n getto w tt it wl b so effective
- Tsvangirai, Mujuru, Dabengwa and many other opposition leaders they is need for them to lead a national demonstration they should risk their lifes to police even to a point of being improssioned so that a great attention is being put to the scene of the whole world. No time to fear guys.
- True that.
- I think that strategy is the best.
- I think this would be a brilliant idea that would work, but the challenge is Zimbabwean citizens who do not want to get involved.
- Zimbabweans never unite and do things as a family why some people turn good. We don’t blame opposition but selves.
- Yah good idea
- This is a wonderfull idea i think evryone will join in this
- That’s the best for a better impact.
- But for these demos, i have never heard one in Masvingo, Chiredzi and other small towns. It will be best to start by supporting those towns, to remove fear in people then call for residential area demos.
- That’s an very gud ldea abt the Demos
- Iyi yakanga manje Itoribho as long as it does not turn into bloodshed out of excitement and anxiety with leaders inspot yakapenga.
- I think what u written 100%
- Oppression hurts the oppresser most
- This is a good idea,especially after this statutory instrument which prohibits demonstrations in the central business district of Harare for the next fortnight
- Zrp banned demo in cbd a demo can be held in mbare, kuwadzana etc
- Yeah.If we are democratic as they say,”the ruling government”,then they should allow people to execute their feelings, their minds, their forementioned grievances towards the people in power.A march from different places will possibly caught their attention driven to a better place in the CBD.i second that
- Fact. This is true.
- That’s an excellent suggestion. Let the opposition leaders think along those lines.
- Hie. Those are very good suggestions on diverse ways of conducting demos. We should try them out. Also motorists carrying other demonstrators, as well as kombis can drive around the city centres of various towns with placards pasted on them, hooting throughout the major streets. They can even do the same in the various residential areas, including where these senior government officials stay.
- Decentralisation of the citizens during demos and protests is the best way to go. The cash strapped government will find it difficult to deploy the anti-riot cops to such different places.
- That’s a fact.protest should start from homes.
- A brilliant suggestion indeed which would render the police ineffective if only people could be mobilised this way and the take heed of the call. The unthinkable, uncontrollable, unimaginable and eventual successful peaceful demo achieved!
- Its a gud strategy, everything that starts from the grassroots will always go far, my only worry is violence, destruction of property and looting which is tarnishing n negatively impacting these necessary demos, I believe in non violence just like mahatma gandhi. With such a strategy I think it can also help to curb those elements who are tryng to tarnish th demos
- Waa waa aaa. That’s a very good strategy.
- Why is it Harare alone demonstrate shld be a country wide action
- like what is happening here in Bulawayo you find police officers standing in every avenue and you wonder whether is this a democratic country or we still under Napoleon rule!
- That’s true a different tactic is needed people must gather fr sme national mouning prayers
- Why can’t Augustine Chihuri tell hararians that he had opened two new police station or post at town house and harvest house along Nelson Mandela for their convenience